Kavyamimamsa of Rajasekhara|
Year of Publication :
List Price US$
Book Details :
25 cm; xv, 335p.; 2 Maps; Appendices; Bibliography
Your Price US$
Search for more books by Sadhana Parashar
About the Book :
As a body, Sanskrit writings unfold India`s millennia-long, almost unbroken intellectual tradition : not only of philosophy and grammar, but of literary theory as well. The concepts and critical theories, which the Sanskrit poeticians advanced or the issues they sought to address, inhere both universal appeal and validity. And, with certain modifications, these can well live up to the demands of modern literature.
In this long and powerful tradition of Sanskrit literary theory that marked a definitive beginning with Bharata`s Natyasastra (first century AD), Kavyamimamsa is a monumental work. Written sometime during 880-920 AD by Rajasekhara : an eminent poet, dramatist and critic, it is a kind of practical treatise for poets : kavisiksa manual - highlighting, as it does, all possible attributes that go into the making of a good poet and a good poetic composition. Among other relevant aspects, Rajasekhara also includes here a systematic exposition of the views/opinions of his predecessors, with illustrations of the literary practices of various times and climes put down after careful empirical observation.
Now, when there is a growing scholarly interest in the study of Sanskrit literary theory and how it is postioned vis-a-vis the Western critical tenets, Dr. Sadhana Parashar brings Rajasekhara`s classic within everyone`s reach - offering the first ever, complete English translation of Kavyamimamsa, with its original Sanskrit text and comprehensive explanatory notes. For sure, it is invaluable to the scholars of linguistics and literary criticism.
About the Author :
Sadhana Parashar is a bright scholar of Sanskrit poetics, holding research degrees from the Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi on her theses: Rajasekhara`s Kavayamimamsa and Sylvia Plath`s Poetry: An Interpretation in the Classical Indian Frame work.
Apart from her specialised interests in Sanskrit literary studies her area of work involves curriculum development, teacher training in the field of English language teaching, testing and evaluation. She also writes poetry.
Currently, Dr. Parashar is working as an AEO (ELT), Academic Unit, Central Board of Secondary Education, Delhi.
The Sastra Group
Map of India during Rakasekhara`s Time
Map depicting Linguistic Analysis during the Time of Rajasekhara
Kavyamimamsa of Rajasekhara Original Text in Sanskrit and Translation
1. Sastrasamgrahah (The Discipline of Poetics)
2. Sastranirdesah (Nature and Division of Poetics)
3. Kavyapurusotapattih (Origin of Kavya)
4. Pada-Vakya-Vivekah (Language, Word and Sentence)
5. Vyutpatti and Kavya-Paka (Vyutpatti and Maturity in Poetic-Expression)
6. Pada-Vakya-Vivekah (Definition and Kinds of Sentences)
7. Vakya-Bhedah (Modes of Sentences and Intonation)
8. Kavyarthyonyah (Sources of Meaning of Poetry)
9. Arthavyaptih (Description of Sources of Meaning)
10. Kavicarya and Rajacarya (Daily Routine and Duties of a Poet and a King)
11. Sabdaharanam (Appropriation of Words)
12. Arthaharanam (Appropriation of Meanings)
13. Arthaharanesvalekhyaprakhyadibhedah (Different Kinds of Appropriation)
14. Kavi-Samaya (Conventions of a Poet)
15. Guna-Samaya-Sthapana (Poetic-Conventions)
16. Svargya-pataliya-Kavi-Rahasya-Sthapana (Poetic Conventions Relating to Celestial and Nether Worlds)
17. Desa-Vibhagah (Geographical Regions and its Divisions)
18. Kala-Vibhagah (Divisions based on Time)
Appendix I List of Names which occur in Kavyamimamsa
Appendix II Names of Geographical regions which occur in the Kavyamimamsa
Thank you for visiting us. Our site is updated
frequently with the latest in the books world.
So keep visiting and enjoy reading!!!
View Cart |
Wish List |
Custom Order |
HOME | About us | Mailing list | New Books | Bargain Books | Authors | Institutions | Faq
Black and White |
Why shop with us? |
Recommend our Site |
Own Publications |
Invitation to Institutions |
Invitation to Authors |
Publishing & Printing |
6191/1, Block-1, Dev Nagar, Karol Bagh, New Delhi - 110005
Phs- +91-11-25734149 Fax- 45046593
© 2002-2007, Sundeep Prakashan, India.
All rights reserved. Transgression in any form prohibited.
A creation of Crux Infotech